This week I have the pleasure of introducing you to Clever Mamma Heidi Helyard from Bluewood Studio. Based in the northern suburbs of Sydney, Heidi is a super-talented Graphic Designer who manages her business with two gorgeous littlies to keep her company.
1. Tell us a little about yourself and your business... I am a graphic designer with over 13 years experience, graduated with a Bachelor Degree (1st class hons) from UNSW and have worked in cultural institutions as well as corporate studios. I specialise in print design, including logo, stationery, brochure, document and book design. I am obsessed with typography and fonts.
2. How did your business begin? It began a little over 8 years ago when I started to get hammered in the corporate sector. It was brutal. I was about to get married and had my eye on the prize of wanting children and really wanted to work from home. I went from the full-on corporate job to a magazine job which was terrible, so three days out from my wedding, I quit with the intention of going freelance through some agencies while I built up my client base. I ended up not having to do on-site freelancing as I obtained some clients quite quickly. This was in 2003. My daughter was born in 2007 and my son was born in 2009.
3. The bits I love... Not having to put up with other annoying people in an office (can you tell I've worked with some doozies?). Working around the kids and not having to put them in daycare super early in their lives.
4. The bits I not-so-love... When clients don’t understand about being flexible and hearing kids in the background. Fortunately not too many of those. When I REALLY want/need to get on with work and I can’t because of the kids.
5. Any tips for other Clever Mammas? Don’t be afraid or feel guilty about getting help with the kids. I have done a mix of in-house babysitter/nanny, Family Day Care (even just half a day!) and now pre-school with my daughter. If you are working you usually need help with the kids!
6. Devonshire Tea versus Coffee & Cake??? Coffee (for the wake up) and cake (for the sugar).
Thanks for stopping by the Clever Mamma blog Heidi! It's been great getting to know you and your business a little better. If you would like to find out more about Bluewood Studio, be sure to sneak a peak at the listing on the CM Directory. You will find more details plus a link to Heidi's website where you can view her amazing folio and also download a free 'Pigment to Pantone' 2012 calendar. What are you waiting for, go on... hop to it!